Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Think as an Indian first…




Terror attacks…terror attacks and only terror attacks- this is the only thing that on every Mumbaikar’s mind. But some still feel that regionalism will help fight terrorism. How, that I can’t tell. On 27th November, just a night after the whole gruesome act started, I got a message from an acquaintance of mine which said, ‘Where is Raj Thackeray hiding? Why isn’t he bringing his MNS goondas to fight terrorism? Why should the NSG troops fight to save lives of the Marathi manoos?’ and related stuff. I felt bad and angry after reading the message. Let me be clear that I am not a follower of Raj Thackeray. The thing which bothered me so much was ‘why bring the unwanted regionalism into the picture, when the life of thousands of Indians is at stake?’ Mind you, I said INDIANS and not Maharashtrians or Gujaratis or Punjabis. The message read that why should NSG commandos save life of Mumbaikars when they are not Marathi. The point is, what about the three top cops- Karkare, Salsakar and Kamte- they were all Marathi. Almost 90% of the Mumbai Police is Marathi. But while saving lives of so many people did they ask them ‘Are you a Marathi, I will save your life only if you are a Maharashtrian.’


One should fight such battles dealing with the whole country as an Indian and nothing else. MNS has donated 400+ bottles of blood towards the victims of the attacks. I am not trying to praise them or something. It’s just that when they did something bad, it was widely reported and it was correct but when they did something good, not even a 100 word story appeared.I feel enough is enough. Everybody loves their region and religion but how far should we go?


Every Indian should make a point of thinking as an Indian first and then as a Marathi, Bengali or Malayali.

No comments: